Fàilte! (Welcome!)

Fàilte! (Welcome!)
This blog is the result of my ongoing research into the people, places and events that have shaped the Western Isles of Scotland and, in particular, the 'Siamese-twins' of Harris and Lewis.
My interest stems from the fact that my Grandfather was a Stornowegian and, until about four years ago, that was the sum total of my knowledge, both of him and of the land of his birth.
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of everything that I have written (not least because parts are, perhaps, pioneering) but I have done my best to check for any errors.
My family mainly lived along the shore of the Sound of Harris, from An-t-Ob and Srannda to Roghadal, but one family 'moved' to Direcleit in the Baighs...

©Copyright 2011 Peter Kerr All rights reserved

Wednesday 26 May 2010

Salmon Folk of Lewis and Harris

I thought I'd take a look to see what specific mention of occupations connected with Salmon might appear in the censuses:

1841
George Macleod, 35, Salmon Fisher, Grimersta, b. Uig

Murdo Mackay, 35, Salmon T Boiler(?), Sandwick, b. Uig

1851
George Macleod, 45, Ground Officer/Salmon Fisher, Sandwick Beach, b. Assynt, Sutherland

Angus Macdonald, 35, Salmon Fisherman, Dun Carloway, b. Uig

1861
George Macleod, 52, Salmon Fisher, Sandwick Beach, b. Assynt, Sutherland
John Macleod, 25, Salmon Fisher Clerk, Sandwick Beach, b. Uig

1871
John Macleod, 40, Watcher of Game and Salmon, Arnish Point(?), b. Uig

James Young, 35, Salmon Fisher, Sandwick Road, Sandwick Lodge, b. Creich, Sutherland

(Neil Macneil, Salmon Fisher, Salmon House, Drainie, Moray, b. Lochs)

1881
James Young, 44, Salmon Fisher, Sandwick Cottage, b. Creich, Sutherland

1891 – None Listed

1901
James Young, 65, Salmon Fisher, Sandwick Cottage, b. Creich, Sutherland

(John Kerr, 32, Salmon Fisher, The Chanonry Point (Salmon fishing Station)(2), b. Tarbert, Harris)


Whilst some of these records clearly relate to protecting the landowner's Salmon (and Game!) it is not clear if the all other Salmon Fishers were engaged in commercial activity or, perhaps, as guides?

I have included the two 'strays' in Moray mainly because they are from the Isles and engaged in salmon fishing, but also because John Kerr, who was born in Direcleit, is a relative.

No comments:

Post a Comment