Fàilte! (Welcome!)

Fàilte! (Welcome!)
This blog is the result of my ongoing research into the people, places and events that have shaped the Western Isles of Scotland and, in particular, the 'Siamese-twins' of Harris and Lewis.
My interest stems from the fact that my Grandfather was a Stornowegian and, until about four years ago, that was the sum total of my knowledge, both of him and of the land of his birth.
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of everything that I have written (not least because parts are, perhaps, pioneering) but I have done my best to check for any errors.
My family mainly lived along the shore of the Sound of Harris, from An-t-Ob and Srannda to Roghadal, but one family 'moved' to Direcleit in the Baighs...

©Copyright 2011 Peter Kerr All rights reserved

Monday 17 May 2010

Butt of Lewis Lighthouse Keepers

I just realised that, although I earlier described the career of the first Keeper, I hadn't completed the list.
Here are, in brief, the men who manned the lighthouse from 1871-1901:

1871
George Edgar, 53, Principal Light Keeper, Head, b. Portpatrick, Wigtownshire
John Tulloch, 35, Assistant Light Keeper, Head, b. North Ronaldsay, Orkney

1881
George Edgar, 63, Principal Light Keeper, Head, b. Portpatrick, Wigtownshire
Robert Macintosh, 26, Light House Keeper, 2 Eoropie, Head, b. Lighthouse, Ross, Tarbert Ness

1891
James McQueen, 45, Principal Light Keeper, Head, b. Kilmuir, Inverness-shire
Robert Agnew, 31, Light Keeper, Head, b. Tobermory, Argyll

1901
Alexander Mccann, Light Keeper, Head, b. Kirkmaiden, Wigtownshire
David Budge, 38, Light Keeper, Head, b. Drenne(sp?), Caithness
George Campbell, 28, Light Keeper, Head, b. Port in a Loren (sp?), Argyll

Note: George Edgar's career here: George Edgar, Lighthouse Keeper

No comments:

Post a Comment