Fàilte! (Welcome!)

Fàilte! (Welcome!)
This blog is the result of my ongoing research into the people, places and events that have shaped the Western Isles of Scotland and, in particular, the 'Siamese-twins' of Harris and Lewis.
My interest stems from the fact that my Grandfather was a Stornowegian and, until about four years ago, that was the sum total of my knowledge, both of him and of the land of his birth.
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of everything that I have written (not least because parts are, perhaps, pioneering) but I have done my best to check for any errors.
My family mainly lived along the shore of the Sound of Harris, from An-t-Ob and Srannda to Roghadal, but one family 'moved' to Direcleit in the Baighs...

©Copyright 2011 Peter Kerr All rights reserved

Tuesday 4 May 2010

Asbestos on Harris

In perusing Bald's 1804 map of Harris I noticed in the vicinity of Borve/Little Borve an 'Abislos Quarry' and a later addition, nearer to Mid Borve, of the word 'asbestos' and an 'X'.

I have been unable to discover anything other than an unsourced reference to 'small deposits of asbestos on Scarp' but wondered whether Asbestos was once a product of the island of Harris?

1 comment:

  1. I contacted the National library of Scotland, who have no records that answer this query, so have now passed it on to Stornoway Library to see if there are any references in their Local Studies collection.

    ReplyDelete