Fàilte! (Welcome!)

Fàilte! (Welcome!)
This blog is the result of my ongoing research into the people, places and events that have shaped the Western Isles of Scotland and, in particular, the 'Siamese-twins' of Harris and Lewis.
My interest stems from the fact that my Grandfather was a Stornowegian and, until about four years ago, that was the sum total of my knowledge, both of him and of the land of his birth.
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of everything that I have written (not least because parts are, perhaps, pioneering) but I have done my best to check for any errors.
My family mainly lived along the shore of the Sound of Harris, from An-t-Ob and Srannda to Roghadal, but one family 'moved' to Direcleit in the Baighs...

©Copyright 2011 Peter Kerr All rights reserved

Monday 10 May 2010

SAILING AND ROWING WORKING BOATS FROM THE WESTCOAST OF SCOTLAND

By Mike Jarvis

This page, from an excellent little site about the Scottish Birlinn, or Hebridean Galley, is an invaluable reference source and well worth a look: page 13

However, as the author says,

'It is a tragedy that there is not one survivor of all the little trading sailing vessels that kept the communities of the West Coast of Scotland in touch with the outside world.'

Apparently Simper, R. (1974) Scottish Sail, a Forgotten Era. David & Charles, has some documentation and photographs, and second-hand copies are available, so I am tempted...

There are some lovely pictures here of a Hebridean Lugger built by John Macaulay of Flodabay, Harris. The article contains additional links of great interest. An article written by John himself can be read here: http://www.leverburgh.co.uk/boatbuilding.htm

Ref: http://galgael.org/birlinn/

No comments:

Post a Comment