Fàilte! (Welcome!)

Fàilte! (Welcome!)
This blog is the result of my ongoing research into the people, places and events that have shaped the Western Isles of Scotland and, in particular, the 'Siamese-twins' of Harris and Lewis.
My interest stems from the fact that my Grandfather was a Stornowegian and, until about four years ago, that was the sum total of my knowledge, both of him and of the land of his birth.
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of everything that I have written (not least because parts are, perhaps, pioneering) but I have done my best to check for any errors.
My family mainly lived along the shore of the Sound of Harris, from An-t-Ob and Srannda to Roghadal, but one family 'moved' to Direcleit in the Baighs...

©Copyright 2011 Peter Kerr All rights reserved

Monday 31 May 2010

Ground Officers of Harris

These were the men who kept an eye to see that the tenants, and others, were obeying the Estate's rules regarding the land they occupied. I have indicated their locations but should point out that John Morrison of Lingerbay was the South Harris Estate Officer.

1841
NORTH
John Macaulay, 60, Ardhasaig, b. Inverness

1851
SOUTH
John Macleod, 49, Port Esgein, b. Harris

1861
NORTH
John Macaulay, 84, Ardhasaig, b. Harris
BAYS
John Morrison, 40, Lingerbay, b. Harris
SOUTH
Catherine Macleod, 60, Ground Officer's Widow, Strond, b. Harris

1871
NORTH
Malcolm Macualay, 57, b. Harris
BAYS
John Morrison, 60, Lingerbay, b. Harris

1881
NORTH
Malcolm Macaulay, 70, Ardhasaig 64, b. Harris
SOUTH
John Morrison, 74, South Harris, b. Harris

1891
NORTH
Malcolm Macaulay, 79, No 19 Ardhasaig, b. Harris
SOUTH
Alexander Morrison, 37, Bayhead, b. Harris


1901
SOUTH
Alexander Morrison, 46, Bayhead, b. Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment