Fàilte! (Welcome!)

Fàilte! (Welcome!)
This blog is the result of my ongoing research into the people, places and events that have shaped the Western Isles of Scotland and, in particular, the 'Siamese-twins' of Harris and Lewis.
My interest stems from the fact that my Grandfather was a Stornowegian and, until about four years ago, that was the sum total of my knowledge, both of him and of the land of his birth.
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of everything that I have written (not least because parts are, perhaps, pioneering) but I have done my best to check for any errors.
My family mainly lived along the shore of the Sound of Harris, from An-t-Ob and Srannda to Roghadal, but one family 'moved' to Direcleit in the Baighs...

©Copyright 2011 Peter Kerr All rights reserved

Saturday 29 May 2010

Factors ON Lewis

These are the four records of Factors resident on Lewis at the time of each census:

1841
Thomas Knox, 40, Factor of Lewis, Seaforth Lodge, b. Scotland 2 male and 2 female Servants
(Alexander Macrae, 49, Gardener, b. Ross and Cromarty, and 8 others are also at Seaforth Lodge)

1851 and 1861 – None Listed

1871
Norman Maciver, 30, Factor, Lodger, Private House, Uig, b. Uig

1881
William Mackay, 54, Factor and Snr. Magistrate, Boarder, b. Nairn

1891 – None Listed

1901
Charles Orrick, Factor on Landed Estates, 16 South Beach Street, b. Cockpen, Edinburgh
(Wife and 4 children, ages 9months to 8, all born in Stornoway)

Although an apparently somewhat barren list, it does give us our one census record for the inhabitants of Seaforth Lodge, just three years before Sir James Matheson bought Lewis.

No comments:

Post a Comment