Fàilte! (Welcome!)

Fàilte! (Welcome!)
This blog is the result of my ongoing research into the people, places and events that have shaped the Western Isles of Scotland and, in particular, the 'Siamese-twins' of Harris and Lewis.
My interest stems from the fact that my Grandfather was a Stornowegian and, until about four years ago, that was the sum total of my knowledge, both of him and of the land of his birth.
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of everything that I have written (not least because parts are, perhaps, pioneering) but I have done my best to check for any errors.
My family mainly lived along the shore of the Sound of Harris, from An-t-Ob and Srannda to Roghadal, but one family 'moved' to Direcleit in the Baighs...

©Copyright 2011 Peter Kerr All rights reserved

Wednesday 8 March 2023

HEBRIDEAN RECOLLECTIONS by Rothes Goodall

Occasionally, something rather wonderful happens as was the case when I was contacted by a reader regarding Scarista Manse. He, together with his sister and her husband, had compiled a document based upon a handwritten account of holidays in Harris written by their late father (and father-in-law) Robert Rothes Goodall.

In addition to the manuscript they also possess two collections of photographs, one of which contains images taken by Rothes whilst the other is an album of photographs that Rothes' mother, Margaret Goodall, had taken.

The family, headed by John Murray Goodall who worked for the Church of Scotland, took many holidays across the nation and its islands including both Lewis and Harris. Margaret records one stay in Harris in 1923, following several earlier holidays based in Lewis, and Rothes' own photos probably date from another stay in 1928.

What follows is a truly wonderful account, transcribed and assembled into a unique document that I have the great privilege of publishing for the very first time.

I am sure readers will find it a fascinating read and also enjoy the evocative images that bring to life, in particular, the Minister John Kerr and his wonderful wife Adèle.

With grateful thanks to David, Alison, and John.

No comments:

Post a Comment