Fàilte! (Welcome!)

Fàilte! (Welcome!)
This blog is the result of my ongoing research into the people, places and events that have shaped the Western Isles of Scotland and, in particular, the 'Siamese-twins' of Harris and Lewis.
My interest stems from the fact that my Grandfather was a Stornowegian and, until about four years ago, that was the sum total of my knowledge, both of him and of the land of his birth.
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of everything that I have written (not least because parts are, perhaps, pioneering) but I have done my best to check for any errors.
My family mainly lived along the shore of the Sound of Harris, from An-t-Ob and Srannda to Roghadal, but one family 'moved' to Direcleit in the Baighs...

©Copyright 2011 Peter Kerr All rights reserved

Thursday 25 February 2010

Two Traveller Families

The chance of finding Traveller families on the isles at the precise date of a census has to be extremely slim.

To find two such records of Stewart families from Sutherland resident, albeit temporarily, in the Parish of Stornoway is even more remarkable:

1881

Address: 98 Back, Stornoway

Charles Stewart, 35, Travelling Tinker, b. Small Isles, Inverness
Janet Stewart, 36, b. Lairg, Sutherland
Isabella Stewart, 15, b. Lochs
Hannah Stewart, 13, b. Barvas
Mary Stewart, 10, b. Stornoway
John Stewart, 10, b. Barvas
Peter Stewart, 6, b. Stornoway
Christina Stewart, 4, b. Stornoway
Jane Stewart, 3, b. Stornoway
Henrietta Stewart, 6 months, b. Stornoway

1901

Address: Heights of Douran, Stornoway

Kate Stewart, 61, Travelling Tinker Tin Smith Pedlar, b, Creich, Sutherland
Peter Stewart, 23,b.Dingwall
Jane Stewart, 22, b. Stornoway
Alexander Stewart, 1 month, b. Flodderty,

1 comment:

  1. rthur's from Killmalie in 1863 James McArthur and Mary Ann Mc Phee they had a son called James McArthur born 1838, I come of the branch of Stewart's Robertson's and the tinsmith and bagpiper Stewart's and Mc Donald's most of them they are Tinsmith's.

    ReplyDelete