Fàilte! (Welcome!)

Fàilte! (Welcome!)
This blog is the result of my ongoing research into the people, places and events that have shaped the Western Isles of Scotland and, in particular, the 'Siamese-twins' of Harris and Lewis.
My interest stems from the fact that my Grandfather was a Stornowegian and, until about four years ago, that was the sum total of my knowledge, both of him and of the land of his birth.
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of everything that I have written (not least because parts are, perhaps, pioneering) but I have done my best to check for any errors.
My family mainly lived along the shore of the Sound of Harris, from An-t-Ob and Srannda to Roghadal, but one family 'moved' to Direcleit in the Baighs...

©Copyright 2011 Peter Kerr All rights reserved

Thursday 25 February 2010

Adjudicator Alma recalls medal win

Falkirk Herald - 6th October 2008

IT'S 50 years since Lewis singer Alma Jamieson won the Ladies Gold Medal at the National Mod in Glasgow – taking the coveted award at her first ever Mod!
And she will be heading to Falkirk for this year's event, not to compete, but to adjudicate at some of the competitions over a number of days.

Alma Kerr, as she was at the time, was only 18 years of age when she competed and came out on top at the 1958 Mod.

"I was very nervous as it was my first Mod, and the venue, St Andrew's Halls, was packed,'' she recalled.

''There were over 30 singers entered for both the men's and ladies' Gold Medal competitions. The standard was very high in both of these. I know that in the ladies' event any one of 20 singers could have won the medal. In fact many of those who competed in 1958 won the Gold Medal in later years."

Fifty years on, as well as adjudicating, Alma will be part of the presentation party at the Gold Medal finals.

"The Mod Committee has asked me to adjudicate on previous occasions, but being involved with so many singers in so many competitions, I have always turned it down,'' she said.

''However, I agreed to adjudicate in 2008, this being the 50th year since I won the Medal. I am looking forward to it."

Recording of Alma singing at the National Mod in 1958: Alma Kerr

Glasgow Herald 2nd October 1958 article can be seen here.

Ref:
http://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/mod-2008-preview/Adjudicator-Alma-recalls-medal-win.4562265.jp

No comments:

Post a Comment