Fàilte! (Welcome!)

Fàilte! (Welcome!)
This blog is the result of my ongoing research into the people, places and events that have shaped the Western Isles of Scotland and, in particular, the 'Siamese-twins' of Harris and Lewis.
My interest stems from the fact that my Grandfather was a Stornowegian and, until about four years ago, that was the sum total of my knowledge, both of him and of the land of his birth.
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of everything that I have written (not least because parts are, perhaps, pioneering) but I have done my best to check for any errors.
My family mainly lived along the shore of the Sound of Harris, from An-t-Ob and Srannda to Roghadal, but one family 'moved' to Direcleit in the Baighs...

©Copyright 2011 Peter Kerr All rights reserved

Tuesday 16 November 2010

Hebridean Light Railway Company

A piece on a proposal in 1898 to construct two railway lines on Lewis can be found here.
There are no 'rail'-associated returns from the 1901 census for Stornoway so, even if the scheme was still 'alive' then, I can add no more information.


An industrial line was that associated with the earlier Peat Oil project of Sir James Matheson can be read here  In the 1871 Census, there was a 30 year-old Perthshire man, David Macgill, who was a ‘Railway Agent’ living at 3 Beach St, Stornoway. His two children, ages 1yr & 5months respectively, were both born in Moray so the family must have moved to Lewis sometime after November 1870. Whether his presence was in connection with the Lewis Chemical Works railway or, perhaps, a line that may have been proposed for the Brickworks is unknown but appears likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment