Fàilte! (Welcome!)

Fàilte! (Welcome!)
This blog is the result of my ongoing research into the people, places and events that have shaped the Western Isles of Scotland and, in particular, the 'Siamese-twins' of Harris and Lewis.
My interest stems from the fact that my Grandfather was a Stornowegian and, until about four years ago, that was the sum total of my knowledge, both of him and of the land of his birth.
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of everything that I have written (not least because parts are, perhaps, pioneering) but I have done my best to check for any errors.
My family mainly lived along the shore of the Sound of Harris, from An-t-Ob and Srannda to Roghadal, but one family 'moved' to Direcleit in the Baighs...

©Copyright 2011 Peter Kerr All rights reserved

Tuesday, 16 November 2010

Harris Schools - A List

Having earlier discovered that the only teacher listed in the 1841 Census return for Harris later became the father-in-law of one of my relatives, I have found myself revisiting the subject of education on the island.
One of the reasons why my earlier piece was presented purely in terms of the number of teachers & scholars was that I could not say with certainty where the teachers were employed. I have found a list of schools, compiled in answer to a Parliamentary question asked in 1960, that shows all the Harris schools that existed in between 1919-1959 and thus may now be able to match the teachers to their schools:







Eilean Anabuich


Kyles Scalpay

Kyles Stockinish

Leverhulme Memorial











Tarbert, Sir E. Scott
The answer also gives pupil numbers for various years and it can be read here:

Where there were 22 schools 90 years ago, today there are merely 5 and if we exclude Berneray then the number of schools has plummeted from 21 to 4 and one of those remaining, Sheilibost, has been named in a recent list of schools set for closure.

Now that I have this list, I think it would be worthwhile attempting to gather as much information as possible about each school including identifying any school buildings that still remain. A big project so if anyone has information (especially photos!) on any Harris schools please do get in contact.

Here's a link to Finsbay - http://theoldschoolhousefinsbay.com/ - which, like several(?) other island schools, has been given a new lease of life as a guest house.

No comments:

Post a Comment