Fàilte! (Welcome!)

Fàilte! (Welcome!)
This blog is the result of my ongoing research into the people, places and events that have shaped the Western Isles of Scotland and, in particular, the 'Siamese-twins' of Harris and Lewis.
My interest stems from the fact that my Grandfather was a Stornowegian and, until about four years ago, that was the sum total of my knowledge, both of him and of the land of his birth.
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of everything that I have written (not least because parts are, perhaps, pioneering) but I have done my best to check for any errors.
My family mainly lived along the shore of the Sound of Harris, from An-t-Ob and Srannda to Roghadal, but one family 'moved' to Direcleit in the Baighs...

©Copyright 2011 Peter Kerr All rights reserved

Monday 19 July 2010

Crewmen of the CREST 1896-1899

Here are the men recorded as sailing with Alexander John Kerr aboard his ketch in 1896-1899, excluding his father Malcolm Kerr who was his Mate/Bosun until his death in December 1898. The gaps within each year reflect the fact that the Master of a vessel had to complete the Crew Agreements twice a year. I have highlighted those whom I believe to be the same person despite the variations displayed in the year of birth.

RNVC = Royal Naval Volunteer's Certificate

1896
John Macleod b. 1856 Stornoway RNVC No 9738

1897
John Macleod b. 1838 Stornoway RNVC No 9730 (Clearly the same man, but with confusion between his year of birth and his age, perhaps?)

Malcolm Munro b. 1849 Stornoway
Murdo Macelod b. 1881 Lochs

1898
John Macpherson b. 1850 Stornoway
Donald Macleod b. 1882 Stornoway
Malcolm Munro b. 1844 Stornoway

John Macpherson b. 1854 Stornoway
Donald Macmillan b. 1880 Stornoway
Malcolm Munro b. 1849 Stornoway
John Macleod b. 1854 Stornoway

1899
Malcolm Munro b. 1845 Stornoway
John Macleod b. 1854 Stornoway RNVC No 9730
Donald Macdonald b. 1856 Lochs RNVC No 244

Malcolm Munro b. 1844 Stornoway
John Macrae b. 1839 Habost, Lochs
Alexander John Maciver b. 1881 Stornoway
 (Alexander John Kerr's Nephew and my Grandfather's Half-Brother)
John Macdonald b. 1851 Harris

I intend to discover more about each of these 9 men. It was only when compiling this piece that the penny-dropped regarding Alexander John Maciver, whom I can be pretty sure was named after the Uncle who we find him sailing with here!

If, by any chance, someone reading this recognises a Name/DOB combination as that of a seafaring relative then I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment