Fàilte! (Welcome!)

Fàilte! (Welcome!)
This blog is the result of my ongoing research into the people, places and events that have shaped the Western Isles of Scotland and, in particular, the 'Siamese-twins' of Harris and Lewis.
My interest stems from the fact that my Grandfather was a Stornowegian and, until about four years ago, that was the sum total of my knowledge, both of him and of the land of his birth.
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of everything that I have written (not least because parts are, perhaps, pioneering) but I have done my best to check for any errors.
My family mainly lived along the shore of the Sound of Harris, from An-t-Ob and Srannda to Roghadal, but one family 'moved' to Direcleit in the Baighs...

©Copyright 2011 Peter Kerr All rights reserved

Monday 26 July 2010

Steamboat Agents of Harris

Here are the four men recorded in the 1841-1901 censuses as Steamboat Agents:

1861
Murdoch Ferguson, 38, Oab, b. Harris

1871
Angus McInnis, 36, West Tarbert, b. Harris

1881
Angus Macinnes, 40, West Tarbert 47, b. Harris
William Stewart, 21, Strond, b. Harris

1891
Angus Mcinnes, 50, No 33 East Tarbert, b. Harris

1901
Angus Macinnes, 60, No 56 North Harris, b. Harris
(Malcolm Mackinnon, 32, Visitor, 1 North Harris, b. Harris)

I have previously mentioned that it was Sir E Scott who was responsible for the SS Dunara Castle visiting Harris, as seen in the 1881-1901 censuses, and the fact that the original site of the ferry was near Kyles House just to the North-West of An-t-ob.

I think it is safe to assume that Angus Macinnes was the Agent dealing with the North Harris Estate's utilisation of steamers whilst Murdoch Ferguson and William Stewart were most-likely working with the company(ies) running ferries to Harris, but if anyone can provide further clarification on either assumption that would be most gratefully appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment