Fàilte! (Welcome!)

Fàilte! (Welcome!)
This blog is the result of my ongoing research into the people, places and events that have shaped the Western Isles of Scotland and, in particular, the 'Siamese-twins' of Harris and Lewis.
My interest stems from the fact that my Grandfather was a Stornowegian and, until about four years ago, that was the sum total of my knowledge, both of him and of the land of his birth.
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of everything that I have written (not least because parts are, perhaps, pioneering) but I have done my best to check for any errors.
My family mainly lived along the shore of the Sound of Harris, from An-t-Ob and Srannda to Roghadal, but one family 'moved' to Direcleit in the Baighs...

©Copyright 2011 Peter Kerr All rights reserved

Thursday 8 April 2010

Harris T(h)reads

I thought I would 'join the dots' of various walks I had on Harris last year.

The first column is through the Bays of Harris but not along the 'Golden Road' which I travelled several times by bus instead. The list ends about 5 miles away from Roghadal.

Next is a short, but photogenic, stroll along the shore of Loch Stocinis.

The final column traverses the island from the East coast to that of the West via the 'Coffin road' and then heads Southwards to the town of An-t-Ob and its neighbours. I should explain that I walked from An-t-Ob to Roghadal following a 'circular' route and reiterate that these lists are merely a compilation of several separate excursions.


Tairbeart
Cadha
Direcleit
Ceann Dibig
Horsacleit
Grosa Cleit
Aird Mhighe           Aird Mhighe         Liceasto
Liceasto                 Leac a Li              'Coffin road'
Geocrab                Caolas Stocinis     Traigh Losgaintir
Beacrabhaic                                       Seilibost
Fleoideabhagh                                    Horgabost
Aird Mhighe                                       Na Buirgh
Fionnasbhagh                                     Scarasta
                                                          Scarasta Mhor
                                                          Taobh Tuath
                                                          Gleann Choisleitir
                                                          An-t-Ob
                                                          Carminish
                                                          Srannda
                                                          Borgeasdal
                                                          Rhogadal

No comments:

Post a Comment