Fàilte! (Welcome!)

Fàilte! (Welcome!)
This blog is the result of my ongoing research into the people, places and events that have shaped the Western Isles of Scotland and, in particular, the 'Siamese-twins' of Harris and Lewis.
My interest stems from the fact that my Grandfather was a Stornowegian and, until about four years ago, that was the sum total of my knowledge, both of him and of the land of his birth.
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of everything that I have written (not least because parts are, perhaps, pioneering) but I have done my best to check for any errors.
My family mainly lived along the shore of the Sound of Harris, from An-t-Ob and Srannda to Roghadal, but one family 'moved' to Direcleit in the Baighs...

©Copyright 2011 Peter Kerr All rights reserved

Monday 12 April 2010

Hearach

Forced to turn your back on machair lands
You face the sea
Who's salt-spray carves itself upon
Your face

Working oars, and ropes and sails
You handle your boat
Who's voyages are etched into
Your hands

Looking back at island peaks
You see the heart of Harris
Who's ancient rocks strengthen
Your heart

This sea-ware safe returned to shore
You feed the hungry souls
Who's peat-smoked tales feed
Your soul

Forced to turn your back on machair lands
You face the future
Who's uncertainty's reflected in the deep-dark loch in which we see
Your face

No comments:

Post a Comment