Fàilte! (Welcome!)

Fàilte! (Welcome!)
This blog is the result of my ongoing research into the people, places and events that have shaped the Western Isles of Scotland and, in particular, the 'Siamese-twins' of Harris and Lewis.
My interest stems from the fact that my Grandfather was a Stornowegian and, until about four years ago, that was the sum total of my knowledge, both of him and of the land of his birth.
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of everything that I have written (not least because parts are, perhaps, pioneering) but I have done my best to check for any errors.
My family mainly lived along the shore of the Sound of Harris, from An-t-Ob and Srannda to Roghadal, but one family 'moved' to Direcleit in the Baighs...

©Copyright 2011 Peter Kerr All rights reserved

Wednesday 16 March 2011

'Ormisdal'

A novel. By the Earl of Dunmore FRGS, author of 'The Pamirs'.


'In this breezy and entertaining novel Lord Dunmore has given us a very readable and racy story of the life that centres in a Highland shooting, about the end of August.' - Glasgow Herald

This reference was found in 'Mr Edward Arnold's New and Popular Books, December 1901' and I believe the Earl's novel was published in 1895.

Has anyone heard of it? Or read it?

'The Pamirs' is still in print and, if you search the Amazon site, you will find by 'Charles Adolphus Murray Dunmore', a book called 'The Revelations of Christianus: And Other Christian Science Poems (1901)'

Christian Science was begun in 1879 by Mary Baker Eddy but I was unaware that the 7th Earl had any association with the religion.

1 comment:

  1. A bit late but strangely I just acquired a first edition copy of this book from 1895 this morning. please let me know if i can be of help.


    thorfinn.maciver@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete