Fàilte! (Welcome!)

Fàilte! (Welcome!)
This blog is the result of my ongoing research into the people, places and events that have shaped the Western Isles of Scotland and, in particular, the 'Siamese-twins' of Harris and Lewis.
My interest stems from the fact that my Grandfather was a Stornowegian and, until about four years ago, that was the sum total of my knowledge, both of him and of the land of his birth.
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of everything that I have written (not least because parts are, perhaps, pioneering) but I have done my best to check for any errors.
My family mainly lived along the shore of the Sound of Harris, from An-t-Ob and Srannda to Roghadal, but one family 'moved' to Direcleit in the Baighs...

©Copyright 2011 Peter Kerr All rights reserved

Saturday 12 March 2011

Avonsuidh

By the later years of the 19thC we see references to 'Avonsuidh' or 'Fin Castle' as the Harris seat of the Earl of Dunmore.

It would appear that the 7th Earl first named it Fincastle then it later became Amhuinnsuidhe Castle and was 'Anglicised' into Avonsuidh which, according to Iain mac an Tailleir, is from Abhainn Suidhe or 'River Suidhe'.


I think 'suidhe' is, coincidentally, to do with 'seating' (although Iain mac an Tailleir has it as 'seething'?) but, as he had to sell his 'seat' soon after it was completed, then I suppose that the Earl probably was indeed seething...

No comments:

Post a Comment