Fàilte! (Welcome!)

Fàilte! (Welcome!)
This blog is the result of my ongoing research into the people, places and events that have shaped the Western Isles of Scotland and, in particular, the 'Siamese-twins' of Harris and Lewis.
My interest stems from the fact that my Grandfather was a Stornowegian and, until about four years ago, that was the sum total of my knowledge, both of him and of the land of his birth.
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of everything that I have written (not least because parts are, perhaps, pioneering) but I have done my best to check for any errors.
My family mainly lived along the shore of the Sound of Harris, from An-t-Ob and Srannda to Roghadal, but one family 'moved' to Direcleit in the Baighs...

©Copyright 2011 Peter Kerr All rights reserved

Friday 13 August 2010

Togail Tir – Marking Time

My copy of this marvellous book arrived today and what a joy it is! I say that not just because the essays on Bald's 1805/5 Map of Harris and the Maritime Surveys of Captains Otter and Thomas each confirm (and provide additional information upon) my own meagre explorations, but because, as Finlay Macleod says in the Preface:

“my only wish is to illustrate in this one publication the wealth of topics and personalities associated with the history of marking time in the Western Isles. (Or togail tir if you prefer: raising land, depicting land, uplifted by land.)”

And that his book does with a worth far beyond the ridiculously reasonable £7.99 cover-price.
It is a treasure to read, to delight in dwelling over the copious lavish illustrations, and I would suggest it is a 'must have' publication for anyone with an interest in the place we call the Western Isles.

Although the book is Out of Print, new copies are available: 


(I must record my thanks to Mary Ferguson at Stornoway Library for bringing Togail Tir to my attention)

No comments:

Post a Comment