Fàilte! (Welcome!)

Fàilte! (Welcome!)
This blog is the result of my ongoing research into the people, places and events that have shaped the Western Isles of Scotland and, in particular, the 'Siamese-twins' of Harris and Lewis.
My interest stems from the fact that my Grandfather was a Stornowegian and, until about four years ago, that was the sum total of my knowledge, both of him and of the land of his birth.
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of everything that I have written (not least because parts are, perhaps, pioneering) but I have done my best to check for any errors.
My family mainly lived along the shore of the Sound of Harris, from An-t-Ob and Srannda to Roghadal, but one family 'moved' to Direcleit in the Baighs...

©Copyright 2011 Peter Kerr All rights reserved

Tuesday 30 March 2010

The Harris Walkway - Coffin Road



 The Coffin Road was the mountain pass used to take the dead from
Leacli at the head of Loch Stocinis in the rocky Bays of the East
to Seilebost and the traditional burial grounds of the West.

The journey begins with an ascent to, and through, peatbogs which, even in Summer, it is difficult to imagine a team of men bearing a coffin over. Remains of cairns can be seen, constructed to keep the coffin safe whilst the living rested. Passing through the the high, bare, rocky mountain lair of eagles, the footing becomes surer as sight of the sea in the Bays behind is lost. The brief summit is followed by first sight of the beautiful sea and sand of the Atlantic coast far below. The steep descent eases into meanderings around the fertile flat machair at the end of the Coffin Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment